Looking after fine jewellery is an art in and of itself.
Frank Zampa Jewelleryhas developed a specific method with which to care for its products and regularly advises its clientele on the best methods and age-old techniques which have been passed down from generation to generation. Here are some main tips to follow:
Caring for gold products:
Containing no oxides, gold is the only precious metal that will not tarnish. Having said this, it is a relatively soft metal so it should be cleaned regularly in order to maintain its beauty and patina. A soft, lint free cloth is an effective way to keep gold jewellery looking its best.
Keep in mind that as a relatively delicate material, gold is particularly susceptible to damage from chlorine which can permanently damage or discolour gold jewellery. For that reason, you should avoid wearing gold jewellery while in a pool or hot tub.
Caring for diamonds:
While diamonds are extremely tough they can still suffer chips and fractures from sharp blows. It is common to scratch a diamond with another diamond, so it’s advisable to take care when wearing and storing jewellery.
The best way to clean your diamonds is with warm, soapy liquid and a soft toothbrush, rinsing the stone and setting afterwards to ensure no soapy residue is left on the ring.
Caring for silver jewellery:
As with most precious metals, sterling silver tarnishes. Clean your silver jewellery in warm soapy water, ensuring that it is rinsed thoroughly and dried before storing. Alternatively polish your silver jewellery with a soft cloth.
Like gold, silver is susceptible to damage by chlorine and other chemicals so avoid use of perfumes when wearing solver jewellery.
Caring for silverware:
Polishing is the fundamental action to care for silverware. Here are some tips to improve your silverware polishing skills:
- Rinse each silver item in hot water to remove surface dust.
- While the silver is still warm, use a moistened foam sponge to spread the silver polish.
- Spread the cream quickly over the silver piece to cover it completely.
- Gently rub each tarnished area. Move around the piece, inside and out, until the tarnish is gone.
- Wash with mild dish soap and rinse in warm water.
- Dry with a very soft cotton flour-sack towel to remove all water.
Caring for pearls:
Pearls are a unique phenomenon in nature and indispensable to every jewellery box. As an organic material, pearls are much softer than most other gemstones and can be easily scratched. A little help is at hand with our following list of do’s and don’ts:
- Do wear your pearls – they react well to the natural oils in your skin and it is the best way to maintain their lustre.
- Do apply your make up and scent PRIOR to putting your pearl jewellery on.
- Do wipe your pearls with a soft cloth after wearing, and occasionally wipe clean with mild soapy water. Allow the pearls to dry before putting them away.
- Do have your pearl necklace re-strung every few years.
- Don’t store your pearls with other jewellery as they can easily be scratched when metal or gemstones rub against them.
- Don’t store pearls in plastic bags,.
- Don’t clean your pearls in an ultrasonic cleaner; the vibrations can shatter them.
- Don’t use chemical cleaners; especially those containing ammonia and bleach, as this will destroy their lustre.
As with all fine things in life, you should take care to protect your jewellery and always store in a jewellery box. All products purchased from Frank Zampa Jewellers are packaged in a magnificent box which is perfectly fine for long-time storage. Call us to book an appointment with one of our experts to discuss a care program for your jewellery.